Spiritual Practice Groups at UUCD
Several spiritual practice and meditation groups operate within our church community. From a UU perspective, these groups focus on the spiritual teachings from Buddhism, the Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita, and modern teachers such as Eckhart Tolle, Ken Wilber, and Byron Katie.
All are “open” groups and everyone is welcome. To learn more, please contact Jack Whitsett or Rich Bradley
On-the-Path explores spirituality from a UU perspective. We focus on a variety of spiritual traditions, including teachers Eckhart Tolle, Ken Wilber, Byron Katie, Thich Nhat Hanh, Alan Watts, Rumi, and others. 7:30pm, 4th Tuesdays, Library
Bill Walker, who studied Sufism in India, focuses on contemporary Sufi practice, including works of Rumi, Hafiz, and Hazrat Inayat Khan. Meditation, discussion, Sufi dancing, and song. 10am, 4th Sat., Library.
Gerry Hair, a spiritual director and teacher for over thirty years, leads this group. Approach is based on a mix of mystical traditions, including Buddhism, Sufism, Hinduism, Christianity. 7pm, 1st & 3rd Thursdays, Library.
“Satsang” is Sanskrit for “together in truth.” Larry Melton shares observations (a Dharma talk), then leads a conversation on the evening’s topic. 7:30pm, 2nd Wednesdays, Library.
Related Group in Davis: Siddha Meditation Group
The Siddha spiritual path is based on ancient Yoga wisdom that enables the expansion of our inner state, until over time we experience oneness with all. The group meets at a home on the first Wednesday of each month, at 7:30 p.m.
- Adyashanti, Emptiness Dancing, Open Gate Publishing, 2004.
- Douglas-Klotz, Neil, The Sufi Book of Life, Penguin, 2005.
- Harrison, Steven, Doing Nothing, Tarcher Putnam, 1997.
- Hixon, Lex, Coming Home, Larson Publications, 1995.
- Houff, William, Infinity in Your Hand, Skinner House, 1994.
- Huxley, Aldous, The Perennial Philosophy, Harper & Row, 1944.
- Parsons, Tony, As It Is, InnerDirections Publishing, 2004.
- Swartz, James, How to Attain Enlightenment, Sentient Publications, 2009.
- Tolle, Eckhart, The Power of Now, New World Library, 1999.
- Watts, Alan, The Book, Random House, 1966.
- Wilber, Ken, One Taste, Shambhala, 1999.